History of the National Sheltie Rescue Network

We are currently developing a fairly complete, reasonably comprehensive history of the National Sheltie Rescue Network. As you might guess, doing so is a long and complex task, so we anticipate that it will take several weeks.

In the interim, we're publishing a raw "timeline" of NSRN provided to us by Pat Ferrel, ASSA's Historian. Very little effort has been made to organize the following timeline and there are known gaps as well as some likely minor errors. However, we hope that its presence might stimulate some of you who have been around for a while to help us fill in the blanks, correct details, and possibly provide more names and photographs.

1987 (e) Associated Humane Society of New Jersey requesting a contact person for the rescue of stray Shelties – this letter will be published in the Bulletin Board so that interested individual and local clubs could pursue this idea.

1990 (e) No action taken on a support statement on Limited Registrations or the forming of a National Sheltie Rescue committee.

1994 (e) Dorothy Christiansen appointed National Rescue Referral Coordinator. The committee will NOT be responsible for coordinating the rescue of dogs on a national level. She will act as a information resource person and prepare a packet of information.

1994 (e) A list of active Sheltie rescues is being prepared. The ASSA rescue coordinator is a referral position only. Discussion followed on the responsibility of the National Rescue Coordinator.

1996 (e) A National Sheltie rescue fund established to be maintained by the ASSA Rescue Coordinator. It was seeded with $1,000, funds to be used for emergency purposes only. A financial statement to be published in the Bulletin Board on a regular basis.

1997 (a) Rescue will receive an additional $2,000.

1997 (a) It was suggested that members sell pets only on a spay/neuter basis, take back any dog they breed or support local rescue groups that take their animals.

1997 (e) For the rescue bequest of $44,000, $4,000 will be put into the operating account for rescue, the remaining to go into an interest bearing account the proceeds of which will be regularly transferred to the Rescue Fund.

1998 (e) A free booth for sale of fund-raising items at the National for rescue approved, however, only one raffle item will be allowed.

1999 (e) Rescue is interacting with approximately 90 rescue groups.

2000 (e) One free show catalog per rented grooming space, authorized raffle of special item(s) for health research (one item) and for Rescue (two items) & pizza part for attendees at Junior Showmanship clinic.

2000 (a) Consideration given to adding a parade of rescue dogs to the National program.

2000 (e) Rescue asked to develop a policy and practice statement for ASSA Rescue.

2001 (e) Ninety-four rescue groups took in 2,223 dogs,

2002 (e) Rescue authorized to place “paid for” ads in several of the popular, general public dog magazines to the approx. amt. Of $1,000 per year.

2002 (m) American Shetland Sheepdog Association Foundation, Inc. has been chartered in the state of Virginia as a corporation and granted tax-exempt status. It was set up as an organization without individual members, but as an entity of the ASSA. This opens the door for ASSA to expand its activities in fundraising, the solicitation of donations and the distribution of money in animal related activities including health research, rescue, education et., the money generously donated by individuals to the Foundation is fully tax-deductible.

2003 (e) Health Research and Rescue accounts transferred to the ASSA Foundation.

2004 (e) Monies transferred from the general account to the foundation in support of health research, Junior Handler scholarship, rescue and anti-canine legislation.

2004 (e) A waiver statement for Rescue clubs to be prepared that states that the group agrees not to stand in favor of anti-breeder legislation before the group receives a donation from the ASSA.

2005 (e) The parade of Rescued Performance Shelties had 20+ entrants at the 2005 National. These dogs must compete in a performance event.

2006 (e) Extensive report given by the rescue Chairman.

2007 (e) Handling clinics at the National will no longer allow those without dogs to use the ring facilities as any ringside discussion is a “no fee” event and in the ring “hands on” are a “fee paid” event. $2,000 was raised for the last three programs and was donated to the Foundation for Sheltie Rescue.

2007 (e) Regional Advisory Program Committee reformed as the National Workshops Committee. The list or ASSA Regional Mentors will be removed from the website. 25% of the monies paid for National Workshop Committee programs be paid to the ASSA National Show Treasurer to cover expenses. The remaining 75% is to go to rescue.

2007 (e) Accepted the $2,000 from Pedigree for rescue as they are no longer affiliated with American Humane and acceptance has no strings attached.